Slider

Cloth Diapers: Reviewed

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

~Baby girl's cute cloth diaper bum~
I know I promised pictures of the kid's bedrooms, but let's talk about poop instead.  I think it is a fair switcheroo; don't you?  I keep meaning to get around to this post; I have no idea how much interest there is in cloth diapers, but I did say I would give some feedback. 

First of all, I LOVE them!  They are easy, cute, money-saving, versatile, and I think they just might help with potty-training.  We went with the bumGenius Elemental One-Size Cloth Diaper 12-pack.  I am not going to go into all the details of why they are so wonderful because you can read an amazing review right here.  I'm just going to share a little of our experience.

I can't speak for any other cloth diapers.  I did try a different brand when our oldest was a baby and quickly gave them up as they leaked and were really bulky. 

The bumGenius diapers were expensive, but we have not had to purchase diapers since we converted to cloth 5 months agoWe still have the same package of disposable diapers that we use for emergencies, etc.  I love that they are all in one, so you just throw the whole thing in the wash and don't have to worry about purchasing liners.  It is worth it to spend a little more money so you can have success and stick with them!

I will say, I would not enjoy cloth diapers without our awesome diaper sprayer.  I had to plunge a dirty diaper in a public restroom one time and that was my one and only unpleasant experience with them- yuck!  I will usually keep baby girl in her cloth diaper if we aren't going to be gone for too long, and if I know she's already had a bowel movement, otherwise I put a disposable one on. :-)  She also wears disposable diapers at Nana and Grampy's house because my Mom keeps them on hand for grand babies, so we don't have to pack them.  Pretty sweet, huh?

I also, love this wet bag from Amazon.
Planet Wise Diaper Wet Bag - Medium (Lime Cocoa Bean)
I have a pullout hamper drawer in our bathroom that I keep the dirty diapers in and I love it because when it gets full, I can throw the whole thing {bag and diapers} in the wash and it keeps the bathroom from smelling stinky.

Diapers bleach out beautifully in the sun!  Simply put them in the sunlight when they are still wet.
They still look great!
An issue I had in the beginning was a stinky odor with the diapers even after I washed them.  It was driving us crazy.  I started putting a cap full of bleach in the wash with them and the smell has not come back, but be warned, you will still be able to smell dirty diapers when you're washing.  It is a high concentration of pee and poo in one place, so I just pull the laundry room door shut until they're done washing.

There is a lot more information out there on cloth diapers, like what kind of detergent to use, so check out the article above, and let me know if you have any questions. 
Yay for cloth diapers that work! 

The timing of this post is interesting as my Mom just purchased some disposable diapers for me to help me while I am recovering from this... :-) 
I would say it is a really good sign that I miss cloth diapers this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright